7.22.2007

Tips Go In - Hands Stay Out

Good morning!

Quick update:

Still moving. Will be until Monday. I'm moving in with Heather to start with, until the time comes for me to move in to the new place (a week, maybe?). I'm really looking forward to it. Right now, me and the girls are holed up in her downstairs bedroom.

I met a new girl at work, Tara, and she helped me get on bartending at a place in Trussville/Roebuck called La Rumba. It's a bar that plays mainly Mexican rock, rap, dance music, etc. I started last night and worked from 9p-6a, and holy crap, are my feet ever killing me. I cannot wait to move horizontal so all the blood will stop touching anything below my waist. I did alright for my first night, I guess. I made $106, but I am the noob, and I have NO idea what I'm doing! I did pretty good for someone who's only talent with alcohol was, at one point in her life, how much she could put away. &=)

But, I just think it's kinda cool - I'm a tiny bartender! &=D I have to get a bar bible to figure some stuff out, and I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to keep this up. Bartending can make some phat money, and I need every little bit I can get, especially right now! It's not only Mexicans, btw. I saw lots of different people in there, but the Mexicans were actually really, really nice, translated for each other, made me laugh, taught me some ESPANOL, and they were INCREDIBLY patient with me.

I have to say, it's a pretty sweet side job, if I can keep it up, if at all possible. My knees and feet are freaking killing me big right now, and I'm a little scared to botch my knee up. I'll have to take it as easy as I possibly can. About 2/3 of the way through the night, I dragged a stool back there with me and copped a squat. Between midnight and 2 we got really, really busy. I wore the total wrong kinds of kicks there, so I learned my lesson this time. I buzzed around, made Tequila Sunrises, Jack & Cokes, Margaritas, Long Islands, shots, handed out TONS of beer, cleaned more than a regular bartender probably does (OCD), learned WAAAAAY too much about the backside of a bar (um, yuck), and picked up a tiny bit of Spanish on the side. I absolutely had the time of my life! &=) I didn't realize this would be my second calling! &=D

I know, I know - selling the alkie. To what will she resort next? - Hey, nothing in which I have to compromise myself or my integrity. I'm merely performing a job, giving the public what they ask for and having a little bit of tolerable fun in the meantime.

Ahhhhhh, but I must retire. Like I said, I hope I can keep this up. Today isn't going to be very fun, because I have a TON of stuff to do. I hate I'm going to miss church (I'm sorry AGAIN, Honey Lee!), but it's just now 7a, and I've got to get a bit of sleep before I have to force myself to become active again.

Oh, the sweet surrender to a well-deserved slumber - all but inches away...

No comments: